mouse cursor functions in text widget

I'm working on adding drag-drop functionality to a text control ala nedit's middle
mouse drag feature.  I thought it would be fairly easy but I'm having trouble locating
a text position given mouse coordinates.  The irritating thing is that the text widget
*has* all the code necessary internally, but it's not exported (see find_mouse_cursor,
etc).  Is there a simple way to accomplish this, or do I have to cut and paste all the
code from the text widget into my files?  I looked through the gtk documentation and I
don't see any mouse or cursor functions there.  Maybe this info is hidden in the drag
context somewhere?  I'm kind of confused why the mouse functions are private, they
seem pretty usefull.. ...