GTK dynamic data

I think I have been going about this the wrong way.  What I am looking
for is a way to have _one_ process which can handle a dynamic stream of
data, does not require user intervention to activate the stream, and
which the user can stop and start at any time.  gdk_input_add doesn't
cut it, and I can't find any documentation on how to get gtk_main
to do this sort of callback.  I have tried the two process route, and
it is getting rather messy.  Surely there is a way to do this?
I, myself, am stuck.

--
David Nicklay _________ Ventura  O-