Re: Good OO Bindings for Gtk+

On 14 Apr 1999 otaylor@redhat.com wrote:

> The gtk.defs file in the GTK+ distribution is the current
> "standard format". It lists:
>
>  Enumeration definitions
>  Flag (bit-field) definitions
>  Some information on memory-management for "boxed" types -
>   (opaque types that are not GTK+ objects)
>  Functions (not nearly complete)
>
> It does not cover signals or object arguments (both of which,
> can, in theory be queried from a running GTK+ library)

i'd like to oppose somewhat to your "in theory" qualification ;)

the gtkquery tool under gle/tools/gtkquery.c in the CVS module gle
can be used to produce dumps of the widget heirarchy and lists all signals
introduced by a certain widget class (the GleEditor widget features a
signal list for one of its input fields as well).
as for runtime queries of the argument system (this could be featured by
gtkquery as well, just haven't thought of that yet), the function
gle_gobject_setup_args() in gle/gle/glegobject.c implements code to walk and
register all object arguments of any given object, and
gle_gwidget_rebuild_child_args() in gle/gle/glegwidget.c does the same for
child args of any given widget.

so while you claim that queris would work in theory, there's some pretty alife
code in GLE practicing this very thing on a daily basis (at least on my system)
extremely happily. ;)

> Regards,
>                                         Owen

---