Change viewport size requisition?

I'm about to commit the patch gtk-rao-981125, which
adds the long-requested feature of GTK_POLICY_NEVER
to the scrolled window. But I notice that it really
isn't as useful as it should be because of an
odditity in the way the Viewport widget works.

Instead of reporting a requisition equal to the
size of it's child plus borders, it always reports
a requisition of just the size of the borders. This
means that the GTK_POLICY_NEVER can't be used
to make a scrolled_window "snap" to the size of the
child in one direction.

I'd like to change the viewport so that the requested
area includes the size of the child. This may
cause some backwards-incompatibility for programs
that don't set the usize of scrolled windows and
assume that their size will be determined by surrounding
widgets, however such programs can be fixed by the
simple expedient of:

 gtk_widget_set_usize (scrolled_window, 0, 0);

I don't see any other way to enable users to get
the IMO, very useful above "snapping" behavior
without gross hacks.

Comments?