Re: glib 1.18

On Thu, Dec 17, 1998 at 04:44:50PM +0100, Sebastian Wilhelmi wrote:
> Hi, Philippe
> >   Then, the link of gthread/testgthread failed because libgthread.la
> >   contains a reference to -lpthreads intead of -lpthread.  Generation
> >   is then succesfull.
> actually is is tested in configure.in, which of both to use, please mail
> me config.log and config.status

	What platform was this compiled on?  AIX < 4.3.0 only has
libpthreads.a with the plural.  That is why there is a check.  AIX 4.3+
links libpthread.a to libpthreads.a.  This should not have been a
problem with current glib.  It builds just fine here (4.3.2 and 4.1.4
machines).

> > - on powerpc-ibm-aix4.1.5.0, compilation fails with
> >
> > gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I.. -I../gthread -DG_LOG_DOMAIN=g_log_domain_gthread  -O2 -Wall -D_REENTRANT -D_THREAD_SAFE -mthreads -c testgthread.c
> > ../testglib.c: In function `testglib_main':
> > ../testglib.c:283: warning: `tmp_string' might be used uninitialized in this function
> > testgthread.c: In function `test_mutexes':
> > testgthread.c:15: warning: missing braces around initializer for `static_mutex.default_mutex.link'
> > testgthread.c:16: warning: missing braces around initializer for `g__test_me_lock.default_mutex.link'
> > testgthread.c: In function `new_thread':
> > testgthread.c:82: `PTHREAD_CREATE_JOINABLE' undeclared (first use in this function)
> > testgthread.c:82: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> > testgthread.c:82: for each function it appears in.)
> > make: *** [testgthread.o] Error 1
>
> argh, doesn't aix comply to posix at all? is there something like
> PTHREAD_CREATE_JOINABLE, or how can joinable threads be created.

	AIX is one of the forefront POSIX boxes.  However, AIX 4.1.5 is
rather old and isn't quite the best development platform.  It doesn't
even have dlopen().  AIX 4.2.0 and greater have the same #define
PTHREAD_CREATE_JOINABLE 0 that Suns have.  I aim all my AIX portability towards
4.1.5 and greater, but if PTHREAD_CREATE_JOINABLE is required (as opposed to
PTHREAD_CREATE_UNDETACHED, which also defines to 0 and exists on AIX 4.1.5), I
might but that to 4.2.1 and greater.
	Btw, if you have a choice, don't use gcc on AIX.  Gcc produces rather
bad object code on this platform.

Joel

--

"To fall in love is to create a religion that has a fallible god."
        -Jorge Luis Borges

                                  jlbec@ocala.cs.miami.edu
                                  gr311@cleveland.freenet.edu
                                  http://ocala.cs.miami.edu/~jlbec