Re: Lines in CList

On Sat, Dec 12, 1998 at 06:47:42PM -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:

> > I think it would be relatively easy to add an widget-(class ?)
> > variable guint8 row_spacing. And to use base{NORMAL] as
> > default background. So we won't loose the old look completely.
>
> I don't entirely understand the proposal.
>
> We could add that parameter on a widget basis - it would be
> somewhat similar to my global boolean parameter, in that
> it would be configurable by programs now, and from the
> rc file later.
>
> But, I'm not quite sure I understand the rest.
>
>  - Can removing the lines be done by just setting the
>    row spacing to zero. Won't that make the lines
>    too close together? If we can't, what advantage does
>    the have?

You can set row_height and row_spacing separately. So if
you don't like CLists with row_spacing == 0, just increase
row_height. (Maybe we really have to change the default row_height
value a bit, but I don't think it's a big problem).

>  - If "removing" the lines is done by setting the
>    default cell color to base[NORMAL], then the lines
>    will return for cells with the background set
>    to something different. (This probably isn't much of a
>    problem, perhaps it is even a good thing, since it
>    would give well defined edges to rows with colored
>    backgrounds)

No, I think, the default cell background should become base[NORMAL]
and the lines should switch to base[ACTIVE].
We could also use a gboolean parameter instead of a guint8, but
I think if we make that hole thing configurable, we should make
it a bit more flexible.

bye,
  Lars