RE: GtkList behaviour once more

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Rostedt, Steven wrote:

> I've stated earlier that there should be a mask that
> determines the button(s) that makes selections in the
> lists.  I've already updated my (now forked) code
> to handle this and I would love to share it.
>
> Maybe we should send a note to the gtk-devel-list
> to get some attention.  This is a development
> topic.
Yes in dead.  I thought so and sended a mail to this list
one week ago but didn't got any answer.  That's why I CC-ed
my mail to this list while knowing that this breaks the
list policy.  Sorry for this behaviour but this topic is
really importand for me and I need a clear solution.  I
would like to do the work if someone of the developers would
tell me what the prefer and break the silence.

> At least have, as a minimum, a compiler
> option of -DMULTI_SELECT and use
>
> #ifndef MULTI_SELECT
>    if (event->button != 1)
>       return FALSE;
> #endif
I think that isn't enough, because someone can't relay on the
compilation on different machines.  I want my program to behave
in the same way on each machine.

Yes a
   if ( !(event->button & GTK_LIST_SELECTION_MASK) )
      return FALSE;
together with
   gtk_list_get_selection_mask(...)
   gtk_list_set_selection_mask(...)
should fit all needs. (First plan)

May be we find a way to include this mechanism in
   gtk_list_set_selection_mode()  (Second plan)
or the best way I could think about would be to define
*different* selection_modes for different buttonsi (Third plan).

I never dealt with CVS stuff.  If there isn't anybody who
wants to implement this I would like to do this and post the
diffs here (or somebody can point me a better way to include
this).
Are there any objections against these plans?
Which plan should be prefered?
(In fact plan 0 would be to leave out the check for the button
and could be done very quickly.  May be you would prefer this one?)

Hopefully GTK+1.1.6 will give me a working as described GtkList
widget.

Kind regards

      Andreas.