Re: next round: glib thread safety proposal

Hi, Jeff

> Take a look at my half-baked implementation.  Check out
> GLIB_1_1_4_THREADS branch.  It includes pthread.h the Right Way(IMHO).
> I didn't get very far with this, just made a few modules thread-safe.

I already did, but we can't just use pthread.h, because it has got to be
protable, thats what its all about....

> > Ah, this brings us to the point, you so far avoided to comment on: what
> > about thread specific data? It would be nice to have (even though, to be
> > honest, it is most certainly not much faster than mutexes).
>
> Is this an issue?  I've always handled this with logic.  If a piece of
> data doesn't belong on the thread's stack, I stick it into the main
> dataspace while ensuring only that particular thread "knows" about it.

yes, but how can that thread know about it. Thats what thread specific
data means. you have a global key, shared by all threads and if you query
with that key, every thread gets its own data location. that is kind of a
resemblence of static vars, only with the obviuos advantage, that every
thread has its own.

Bye
Sebastian
--
| Sebastian Wilhelmi, Institute for Computer Design and Fault Tolerance, |