Re: PROPOSAL: GTK_WIDGET_COMPOSITE_CHILD flag

Tim Janik <timj@gtk.org> writes:

> comments? better ideas to solve the GUI builder problem?

I think the GUI builder should try hard to solve its own problems.
Could it be enough that it is able to identify the widgets that it has
created *itself*?  After all, what's the difference between a widget
created by Gtk code, and by some other user code?  Identifying its own
widgets can easily be done with gtk_object_set_data, etc.

I think this COMPOSITE_CHILD thing is too ill defined.  What if I
write a function that creates a special customized version of a file
selection dialog?  Are my newly added widgets `composite childs' or
not?  From the point of the user of my function, they are.  From the
point of the original file selector they are not.  And from the point
of a GUI builder?

I think (whoa, already thought the third time this morning, gotta get
some coffee) what you really want is some kinf of `creatorship'
indication, so that the GUI builder can know whether it is allowed to
mess with the widgets or not, right?  Just flagging widgets created by
the GUI builder could be good enough, by using gtk_object_set.

- Marius