Sound events in Gtk

Hello,
I am trying to put some sound events in Gtk, in
the same way which enlightenment does it. I had a
Gtk+ 1.0.4 working with some E code where buttons
played .wav where they where pressed. Now, I have
to remove the E stuff from some files to make it
only for Gtk. My question is, which is the best
place to put the function which play sounds?
(please give me file and function name, since I
don't know very well Gtk, thank you).
And I would like to know your opinion about this
(if you like to have sound, etc). Think it would
be implemented as in enlightenment, the sound:
- use ESD.
- is an option at compile time.
- is an option at run time.
And I would like to know where I can obtain the
latest Gtk via ftp (I can't use CVS, since I don't
have modem in my Linux box).
Thank you very much for your answers, it is the
best toolkit :-)

- yiyus

PS to Raserman or Mandrake (if they are there):
what about make e sound stuff a shared library?
Perhaps it isn't neccesary to have sound in Gtk,
but it would be better IMHO, it could be even a
sound library to use in applications...