Re: GNOME CVS: gtk+ owen

Tim Janik <timj@gtk.org> writes:

> On Thu, 13 Aug 1998, Gnome CVS User wrote:
>
> > Modified files:
> > 	.              : ChangeLog
> > 	gtk            : gtktypeutils.h
> >
> > Log message:
> > Thu Aug 13 16:47:44 1998  Owen Taylor  <otaylor@redhat.com>
> >
> > * Changed GtkSignalFunc back to () from (void). (again!)
>
> ok owen, i know you got a good reason to revert that again,
> but could you please elaborate on that?
> i've already dropped a few GTK_SIGNAL_FUNC() macros in some places,
> and need to go through gtk's and gle's code again to fix that up.
> so i'd like to know why we can't go for the () typedef.
> also, this is used in the item factory as well, and gimp probably
> needs a lot of fixes to the menu arrays to work with the (void)
> prototype, so i'm more than curious to know why (void) is needed.

Hi Tim,

I guess you weren't following all the commits today. ;-)

But "change foo back to y from x" would mean that it ended up as
"y". So I was intervening to keep things the way you want them.

(I don't think we should get into the habit of dropping GTK_SIGNAL_FUNC()
 and depending on () - that practice is deprecated in the forthcoming
 C9X standard, but since we've made it (), I wanted to keep that
 way for now!)

[
  Apparently, the inspiration for the earlier change was your use of
  -Wstrict-prototypes in libgtktty , which caused a warning related
  to this definition ;-)
]