Re: PROPOSAL: revise GLib message system

//> ** Gtk+-WARNING: unable to register exit function
//>
//> ** Gdk-WARNING: shmget failed!
//>
//> ** GLib-WARNING: trying to realloc freed memory

I absolutely agree. Much more useful. However, if you're going to go this way anyway, why not implement this in a more generic way. What I mean is a system where people can register their own message classes, then call g_warning, g_error and all the others with an integer representing this message class, and the proper string would be plugged in in the right place. Say:

gint g_message_class_new (gchar *name);
void g_warning (gint class, gchar *message);

Then you could say:

gnome_class = g_messaga_class_new ("Gnome");
g_warning (gnome_class, "Something went wrong!");

You could even extend it to:

GWarningFunc g_set_warning_handler (gint class, GWarningFunc func);

That way, you can easily select which kinds of messages for which message classes you want to display neat windows for.

Perhaps a bit harder to transparently integrate back into all the gtk sources (not really, with global search-replace), and not backwards compatible, but then that was (one of) the idea(s) of the development release, now wasn't it?

Just my 2 cents,

Johannes.
--
"If we aren't supposed to eat animals, why are they made of meat?" -Lars Petrus

Visually inspecting visual programming languages.