Re: dlopen() implementaiotn level (Re: Is gnome-dl required ??)

On  4 Aug, Manish Singh shouted:
->  > i'm not sure how we want to go about this yet...
->  > one thing that needs to be decided on is, on what level should the dlopen
->  > stuff be implemented for platforms that support it? options are:
->  >
->  > 1) glib. it would benice to keep hevily prerocessor conditioned code on
->  >    the glib level, but then again, it wouldn't actually be nice of glibe to
->  >    rquire every glib using propgram (e.g. prcs) to link with -ldl.
->  > 2) gtk. we definitively have to supply the implementation on this level,
->  >    so if matters come to worse, the dlopen stuff needs to be implement on
->  >    the same level that widgets are supported (i.e. below gnome).
->  > 3) GtkObj level (which doesn't exist yet). this is basically the gtk obejct,
->  >    type and signal system wihtout any gdk (thus X) dependancies. i personally
->  >    tend to think that this would be most appropriate, so programns/libraries
->  >    that are going to use the object/signal stuff *and* a decent plugin
->  >    architecture, don't have to reimplement the dlopen stuff.
->  > 4) introduce a new wrapper library, that provides a generic and clean interface
->  >    to the features that are supported on all dynamic loading platforms.
->
->  I'd prefer #4, since a nice portable dlopen library is badly needed in the
->  free software community. It definately does NOT belong in glib, and if it's
->  in gtk it's going to have the icky X dependency. As for #3, I can think of
->  many instances where one would like to use GtkObjects but not dl stuff, and
->  vice versa. The two really aren't related anyway.

I don't know... i think it's got a good place in glib.. glib is a nice
utility library to make for easier porting of apps and reducton in
re-writing basic data structures (lists etc.)...

->
->  -Yosh

--
--------------- Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am" --------------------