Applet as EvenBox

I'm using libpanelapplettmm-2.6 and libgtkmm-2.4.

I'm able to capture events for the panel applet if I add an EventBox
to the applet container and install a signal handler.

  m_event.signal_button_press_event ()
     .connect (sigc::mem_fun (*this, &Applet::on_click));
  m_event.set_events (Gdk::BUTTON_PRESS_MASK);

However, if I eliminate the m_event and put a label in the applet and
then change signal to thie applet itself, I don't get the button press
events.

  this->signal_button_press_event ()
     .connect (sigc::mem_fun (*this, &Applet::on_click));
  this->set_events (Gdk::BUTTON_PRESS_MASK);

 ----

Part of the problem is that I don't know how to debug panel applets.
printf's work OK when the action is in my code.  In this case, I don't
really know what is causing the hold-up.  I can see that the weather
applet does this just fine, so I believe that the functionality ought
to work.

Help will be appreciated.

Cheers.