How to display help, gnomemm way

I am deeply stucked, and I would be grateful
for any pointers. I'm trying to display
help file from a gtkmm application.

I have tried the gnome way, starting with

 gnome_program_init (PACKAGE, VERSION, LIBGNOMEUI_MODULE, argc, argv,
                    GNOME_PROGRAM_STANDARD_PROPERTIES, NULL);

but somehow gtkmm and bare gnome don't
like each other (my app crashes).

I then try:

Gnome::Main main(PACKAGE, VERSION, Gnome::UI::module_info_get(), argc, argv);
 Glib::RefPtr<Gnome::Program> prog = Gnome::Program::get();
Glib::ustring path = prog->locate_file(Gnome::FILE_DOMAIN_APP_HELP, "help.xml");

But now I have 2 problems:

1. I get this warning:
   Gnome-WARNING **: gnome-program.c:987:
   Directory properties not set correctly.
   Cannot locate application specific files.

  and path appears to be empty.

2. Even if I got path, I'm not sure what to do next.
  I have looked at Gnome::UI::Items::Help, but can't
  figure out its use.
I have searched the mailing list archive and found
two similar queries in the past with no satisfactory
reply.

jaidi