Re: [gnomemm] How to keep sync with the maintainers?

On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 11:31, Hicham Bouhmadi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried to get the patch that adds async support to gnome-vfsmm.
> I got the head cvs, but I was unable to compile it since I had to get
> the last version of many other modules (sigc++, glibmm, gtkmm...etc).
> I installed few weeks ago: garnome.0.27.1 It takes me a few time to make
> it work(Maybe I misuse it, it was the first time).
> If it is to be done each week, then I will have no more time to code
> anything!

This is the unstable development phase. Things are meant to change.
Actually, we are now in API freeze, so there should be less changes:
http://www.gnome.org/start/2.5/bindings/

> I suppose the maintainers of gtkmm, gnomemm are 'always' up to date with
> cvs.
> How you achive that? Is there any scripts?

Yes, I highly recommend jhbuild, and I mention it in every release
announcement. See "Testing" here:
http://www.gnome.org/start/2.5/

> Another aspects is when a code rely on higher version of other modules
> (ex: sigc++)
> I suppose the maintainers have this newer version. But what if I don't
> have it, How Can I get it and all its dependencies?!

Download the tarballs.

> I really wonder how you guys keeps sync with everything!
> Solutions (I know about) that trie to make life easier (garnome and
> jhbuild) still needs time to be setup correctly.

So set them up and save time.

> All developers I know that are new to open-source are blocked by this
> aspect.
> Even when you installed the last version of a distrib (like Mandrake
> 10), you are already (completely) out of date!

Of course, being on the cutting-edge is not the same as using stable
releases.

> With garnome, you can 'easily' be up to date with the last main release
> versions (like gnome 2.4 with garnome 0.27.1)
> But if you want to go further: get the last available patch and why not
> contribute to code and correct bugs. What are the solutions?

You need to use cvs if you want to contribute patches. garnome can not
use cvs. jhbuild makes it easier to use cvs.

> I know it is a general problem, that may be more appropriate to send on
> an other mailing list. But my specific problem is about async support in
> gnome-vfsmm. that's why I send it here.

That should be in a tarball anyway.

--
Murray Cumming