Re: [gnomemm] few questions, FAQs ?

On Wed, 2004-04-21 at 09:06, Alberto Paro wrote:

> sirex siology net wrote:
>
> | Ok here some dumb arse questions that i really cant get answers to.
> |

> | 1) briefly (and i mean like 2 sentances for each...) -- what is
> | gtk, gtk+, gtkmm, gnomemm gtkmm, glademm and libglademm and their
> | diffrences ?!. - ive got a clue for most of these but it'd be nice
> | to be sure on the *real* basics first.
>
> gtkmm is a C++ wrapper for gtk+ (writen in C)
> gnomemm is a C++ wrapper for basic gnome libraries
> libglademm is a C++ wrapper for libglade
>
> gnomemm depends on gtkmm

A correction: gnomemm is a project name. Since gtkmm 1.2, there is no
actual module called gnomemm.

Note also that glademm is not the same as libglademm. glademm is a code
generator.

> | 2) im intrested in doing linux C++ gui's so im looking at gtkmm, is
> |  there a gtkmm forum or irc room ? i cant find one anywhere, and i
> | dont really like mailing lists. USENET maybe ?
> |
> irc: irc.gnome.org
> channel: #C++
>
> | 3) i kind of have gtkmm working with anjuta IDE in linux, but is
> | there a proper guide for setting the right flags and such for the
> | compiler and preferences to anjuta on the net in regards to gtkmm ?

> select gtkmm or gnomemm project, for other preferences I suggest you
> to edit configure.in

Anjuta, and most other IDEs, produce awful build files. For now, you
have no alternative to learning the about the auto* tools:
http://www.murrayc.com/learning/linux/automake/automake.shtml

There is a gtkmm_hello module that might help. Using gtkmm is no more
complicated that using any other library.

--
Murray Cumming
www.murrayc.com