[gnomemm] slightly OT: patches and changelogs... coding style question

Hi all,
I am more of a lurker than developer.
But I participated in an argument that happened in inkscape developers' chat which was around patching changelog vs having cvs log entries. One of the very active devs disagreed with the style where you religiously patch changelog.

I have seen most people in OSS community advocate patching changelogs all the time. And one of the foremost is Murray, so I ask here.

Is there a text (email/webpage or anything else) that clearly states why you should patch changelogs insted of putting all the info in the cvs logs?

Thanx
Spundun