Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] ekiga can't disconnect

On Sunday 28 May 2006 21:34, George Boyd wrote:
> Do you both happen to be running the same kernels? What sound drivers
> are you using (oss, ALSa, etc.).
>
> I know arts can srew up ALSA and ASLA is having a lot of problems now as
> well. From what I have gathered, after you close Ekiga it goes into a
> "cleanup" mode. Making sure the program cleanly disconnects from the
> service and releases the ports, and locally releases the sound card. If
> I am wrong about the closing procedure, someone will be able to explain
> it better.

> Also are you behind a firewall. If so and it's not configured properly,
> that can cause a lot of problems with other programs as well as Ekiga.
> It just shows up better in Ekiga.

I am using alsa-1.0.11 which seems to work better than the modules in the kernel. I don't think
arts is a problem because it can be set to release /dev/dsp after a period of inactivity: mine is
set to 5 seconds and allows ekiga to use alsa (sound is totally incomprehensible but it does work).
As for the firewall, I turned it off and it made no difference when I called 500 ekiga net: ekiga
won't clean up and must be killed.

> The problems you are describing are very similar to windo$se  yahoo
> messenger program. It gives no error messages, but will show someone on
> line hours (and sometimes days) after they have signed off and killed
> the program.
>
> I admit that I am not familiar with Gentoo. I run Fedora. When I
> disconnect, it takes about 4 seconds to do it's "cleanup"
>
> I wish I could be more helpful for you. But if either of you could run
> Ekiga in debug mode, the output would be very valuable in solving your
> issues.

Running "ekiga -d 6" gives when connecting:
2006/05/29 15:30:14.132   1:33.771          SIP Handler:863a730 GMPCSSEndpoint       PCSS connection established
2006/05/29 15:30:14.133   1:33.772          SIP Handler:863a730 GMManager   Will establish the connection
2006/05/29 15:30:14.165   1:33.805          SIP Handler:863a730 GMManager   Will establish the connection

and when I click disconnect:
2006/05/29 15:30:47.643   2:07.283            OnRelease:860e558 GMPCSSEndpoint       PCSS connection released
2006/05/29 15:30:47.644   2:07.283            OnRelease:860e558 GMManager   Will release the connection

and then nothing.

Cheers...
-Robin.
Robin Atwood.