Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Warning - Read the First couple of Paragraph Before you Decide if You want To read The rest

Le Thu, 25 May 2006 17:04:30 -0700
George Boyd <geboyd53 comcast net> a écrit :
> Give
> them a break ... PLEASE, Help, don't hurt.
> I know this next statement will anger a
> lot of people, but the biggest culprit is ALSA, NOT Ekiga.

Hi,

I'm trying to be helpful in this area.
That's the reason why i first wrote this page:
http://wiki.ekiga.org/index.php/Getting_several_applications_using_the_sound_card_at_the_same_time_%3F
(Well, we like sentences in URL ;)
This is also an experiment to reduce the amount of time with support. I noticed ALSA was a recurrent topic of complains. I think we should care about our resources. The less coders have to deal with outside support (third program like xmms or mplayer, OS specific configuration, Sound system, drivers Kernel, ...) the more they can be useful in what they choose. All in all: free your coder !

If you have some ideas for the how-to, let me know.

As a personal though, i would like someone to write a plugin for the JACK audio system.
This promises almost real-time and low latency software mixing sound. But even if ALSA tries to
inter-operate with JACK via a plugin, this seems not working for now. If someone has success with this configuration, please report.

Regards,
Yannick