[GnomeMeeting-list] No usable audio plugin detected

Hi

Please be aware that although I am a serious linux user I have only a limited technical knowledge to work from.

I had Ekiga working fine on suse 10.0 on a samsung q30 plus laptop but then had a boot problem causing me to repair the installation.  This all seems to have gone OK except for a few dependency errors all of which I resolved by removing or downgrading the problem software and then reinstalling the upgraded version.

Since then however, I have not been able to start ekiga.  whenever I try I get;

*************
No usable audio plugin detected

Ekiga didn't find any usable audio plugin. Make sure that your installation is correct.
******************

Often (but not always) when I try to launch it a second time inadvertently I get;

Cannot run Ekiga

Ekiga is already running, if you want it to call a given SIP, H.323, or callto address, please use "ekiga -c address".

System Monitor sometimes shows ekiga is running with two or more "esd" processes below it.  So it is launching, just not apparently working.  When I try to monitor its start by launching via a terminal window, nothing shows and the same message comes up but no process is launched.

I have removed ekiga and installed it from a different source and still the same problem.

I have searched the web, the FAQ and the mail list but the solutions listed do not help.  I have amended the pwlib permissions (to 755) and entered myself as a member of the audio group but still no joy.  In fact, when I try to start ekiga as root in a nested session, I get exactly the same message.  Short of rebuilding the whole machine from scratch I do not know what to try next.  Can anyone offer some suggestions?

Many thanks.

Geoff