Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Ekiga 2.0 under RHEL 4 / GNOME 2.8?

Hi!

> > I tried it and found out that libebook was missing and not
> available
> > for RHEL 4 so I stopped there. Then I tried to compile dependencies
> but
> > Opal compilation generated dozens of compilation errors because of
> > invalid C++ code.

I now actually checked what's going on and noticed three problems under
RHEL4/GNOME2.8:

1) libebook was really missing but it is available also for RHEL 4 in
the evolution-data-server and evolution-data-server-devel RPMs. So not
a problem after all.

2) Opal compilation errors were caused by unexpected logic related to
PWLIBDIR. I assumed that PWLIBDIR must point to the pwlib installation
directory, not to pwlib source directory. configure found system pwlib
which was too old but configure did not abort, so I first saw just the
compilation errors. With PWLIBDIR pointing to pwlib-1.10.0 sources opal
compiles ok.

3) Ekiga does not compile under RHEL 4 because it ships with GTK 2.4
and Ekiga uses the following three GTK 2.6 methods:

gtk_combo_box_get_active_text
gtk_combo_box_set_focus_on_click
gtk_file_chooser_button_new_with_backend

These are used only in few occasions in the files src/gui/druid.cpp and
src/gui/preferences.cpp. When commented out, Ekiga compiles and links
ok.

I fully understand if you do not want to create additional maintenance
burden by supporting older GTK 2.4 based systems but since the changes
required seem to be rather minimal and RHEL 4 will never get GTK 2.6 it
seems that those modifications would be the only way to use Ekiga on
"enterprise" environment. I have never coded GTK code so of course
changes might actually require a lot of work.

Thanks.