Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] GnomeMeeting RPM for SUSE 9.3

Am Samstag, 31. Dezember 2005 22:22 schrieb Kilian Krause:
> Hi Vlad,
>
> Am Samstag, den 24.12.2005, 14:42 -0800 schrieb Vlad C.:
> > I was wondering whether anyone has a .rpm version of
> > gnome-meeting for SUSE 9.3. I've tried to compile it
> > by hand, but configure apparently can't find a lot of
> > packages that YAST reports are already installed.

Precompiled packages of GnomeMeeting are available as part of the GNOME
supplementary packages. These can be found under
ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/ftp.suse.com/suse/i386/supplementary/ or any
other mirror.

Please read the README.txt first.

To add the supplementary GNOME as YaST package repository, follow the
instructions under http://www.opensuse.org/Package_Repositories

> > For example, the file gconf-2.0.pc is not present in a
> > directory listed in $PKG_CONFIG_PATH
> > (/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/gnome/lib/pkgconfig)
> > or anywhere else in the system for that matter.
> > Nevertheless, YAST reports that gconf2 version
> > 2.10.0-5 is already installed.

If you really want to build your own packages, either use "rpmbuild -ba
<package.src.rpm>", which will report any missing packages needed for build,
or if you want to get automatic installation of needed packages without
touching your normal work environment, follow the instructions under
http://www.opensuse.org/SUSE_Build_Tutorial

gconf-2.0.pc is part of the gconf2-devel package, so pkgconfig is correct in
not finding the file, as well as YaST is correct in saying gconf2 is already
installed.

> as SuSE is steadily trying to not have a good relationship with the
> GNOME folks and even the efforts at OTS seem to have been going quite
> resultless, please file a bug against SuSE to fix their spec. If you
> cannot build a package's source rpm that's a problem of the distro, not
> of the upstream of that package.

Sorry Kilian, but these are the comments which wont make the relationship any
better. The source rpm is in a good state and will build and produce a nice
working package. It even includes a large patch (30k) to let it use the
zeroconf library which is part of the system (libdns-sd), instead of libhowl.
Yes, I know, there have been GM packages which have been broken, but the
packages also have been in a good shape since quite some time.

Happy new year!

Lurchi

--
Stefan Brüns  /  Kastanienweg 6 - Zimmer 1206  /  52074 Aachen
mailto:lurch gmx li  http://www.kawo1.rwth-aachen.de/~lurchi/