From: Craig Southeren [mailto:craigs postincrement com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 10:39 AM
To: GnomeMeeting mailing list; brijesh jadav einfochips com
Subject: Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] jitter buffer implementation

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 10:30:46 +0530
"Brijesh" <brijesh jadav einfochips com> wrote:

> Hi all
> I was looking into the code of the jitter buffer.
> I have doubt for the implementation.
> suppose there are three packets 1,2,3 coming in the order 2 3 1
> now suppose that after 2 packet, jitter time is over so 2 packet will go
> the play out. after 3 support 1 comes but 2 is already played out. so put
> function will put 1 packet to the beginning of the buffer. Now get
function
> us removing oldest packet from the list so that is 1 packet. So play out
> sequence will be 2, 1, 3.
> Am I right? Or how does implementation handles this situation?

In this situation, packet 1 will almost always be ignored, because there
is little chance it will arrive before packet 2 finishes playing.

More interesting in the case of packets arriving 1 3 2. In this case,
packet 2 will be played if it arrives before 1 finishes playing, but
will be ignored if arrives before 3 starts playing.

However, packet reordering occurs very rarely in the real world. The
jitter buffer is mostly to deal with the varying transit times of
packets over the wire.

   Craig

 Craig Southeren          Post Increment - VoIP Consulting and Software
 craigs postincrement com au                   www.postincrement.com.au

 Phone:  +61 243654666      ICQ: #86852844
 Fax:    +61 243673140      MSN: craig_southeren hotmail com
 Mobile: +61 417231046

 "It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile.
  Be yourself, no matter what they say."   Sting