[GnomeMeeting-list] Standard JPEG compression

> From: François-Xavier Busch <fx busch gmail com>
> Subject: [GnomeMeeting-list] Standard JPEG compression
> Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 12:53:08 +0000

> I'm using Ubuntu Dapper and I have a webcam that I want to use with Ekiga.
> I found the driver here : http://alpha.dyndns.org/ov511/status.html, I think
> it's the OV519 and it uses standard jpeg compression.
> Ekiga doesn't seem to support standard jpeg compression... Do you plan to
> support it ?

Hi,

Ekiga support the jpeg format but only using driver that use the v4l2
interface. Why ? because in v4l1, a very small set of format is supported.
I've look the sample code, and to request a jpeg stream, the application
select RGB24. To support this camera, we will need to:
  - add a new method to detect this camera in the plugin v4l1. This can't be
    done without some access to the hardware.
  - add code to a already deprecated API (v4l1 will be removed soon from the
    kernel).
Why not ask the main driver developper to add support for v4l2 API ? Your
camera will already be supported by Ekiga and a lot of other application.
So ... in my opinion i'll not spend my time on this case for a deprecated
feature. Sorry

Luc