Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Skype Video???

Jouni Lohikoski iki fi a écrit :
I do understood and am for open standards. I try to believe in
DreamWorld, but unfortunately we do not live in it. H.323 in MS Windows
is practically dead, and propertary standards rule there in the
video phone, instant messaging and IP-phone applications.

As far as I know, jabber isn't proprietary and is far from being dead for instant messaging ; SIP isn't proprietary and is far from being dead for videophone and ip-phone.

Phone companies do not support Skype they support SIP/H323 for the reson that Skype is a total vendor lockin se:

Still you can phone to normal POT lines with Skype more likely than with
OpenPhone or GM. Skype has gateways in many countries and increasing
those.

Skype is just one provider. And I think they intend to go the SIP route...

So please do not advertise Skype, becouse of it's secret protocol nature so is it a danger to the future of Internet as we know it today. If all

I am not advertising, but just claiming as a fact Skype is growing fast
and is already de facto IP-phone solution for MS Windows users.
The lacking video feature in the Skype is the only backdoor for open standard VC-systems to take over.

I claim you bought the hype.

Snark on #gnomemeeting