Re: Windows Clients For Speex with Gnomemeeting - Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] netmeeting+speex+gnomemeeting-1.2.0

On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 02:34 +0100, Conrad Beckert wrote:

> Any other ideas for the Windows crowds?

Not really. I had the same problem a couple of months ago, when I tried
to setup video calls with my friends and family. I couldn't get speex to
work with netmeeting, and of course NAT and dynamic ip's are an obstacle
too.

The H323 client situation on windows seems to be lacking, while on the
other hand SIP is well supported (Windows Messenger, XLite,
SJPhone ...). Unfortunately though, the Linux SIP clients are somewhat
lacking on their side, linphone isn't that good, SJPhone for Linux has
no dialpad and XLite for Linux is only in it's beta stage.

What I'm currently doing is having an asterisk server on my home LAN and
translating H323 calls into SIP. I.e.

             H323         SIP
Gnomemeeting <-> asterisk <-> NAT <-> Internet (register on FWD or sth.)

and it works reasonable well, where the SIP connections work at least
with GSM and iLBC (didn't try speex yet).

When Gnomemeeting SIP support is available, the situation should
generally become better regarding Windows interoperability, for voice
only calls at least.

Regards, Bruno.