Re: Better Video Codecs - was Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] ideas..

I certainly accept the points made in this email.

I fully appreciate that the developers of opal, pwlib and gnomemeeting
all contribute great work to the projects.  I am sure if anyone involved
had the time then they would have implemented video codec plugins by
now.  If it seems like I was complaining, I am sorry.

Anyway, just a quick comment...

On Fri, 2005-12-16 at 09:41 +1100, Craig Southeren wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:36:04 +0930
> Malcolm Caldwell <malcolm caldwell ntu edu au> wrote:
>
> > Just on the the whole 'better video codecs' thing.
> >
> > I will be brutal and say that gnomemeeting will only every be a 'voip
> > client that can also basic video' until there are better video codecs.
> > h263 at the last, h264 to be a bit more modern, and theora to be 'open
> > source'
> >
> > We cannot afford to wait until Craig and Robert implement video plugin
> > codecs.  This might never happen.
>
> Please correct if I am wrong, but I don't think that anybody is holding
> back on coding video plugins because they think I am doing them.

I think gm is holding back on implementing h263 via the current
mechanism, waiting for the video plugins.

Given the status of software patents in Europe, why not include this
now?