[GnomeMeeting-list] Compiling gnomemeeting under FC4

It took me quite a while to figure out how to get gnomemeeting (and
pwlib, openh323) to compile under Fedora Core 4, so I figured I'd post
my solution here, just in case anyone else is having similar problems.

This is all from memory, so there may be a missing step or two! :-)

First, download the SRPMs from here:
http://www.gnomemeeting.org/index.php?rub=5&path=redhat/SRPMS
gnomemeeting-1.2.1-1.FC3.src.rpm
openh323-1.15.3-1.src.rpm
pwlib-1.8.4-1.src.rpm

Compiling these under FC4 results in masses of error messages,
apparently because g++ 4.0 is very fussy about code conforming to the
ISO standard.  So I installed an older version, 3.2:

yum install compat-gcc-32-c++

Note that this doesn't conflict with the new version -- it's installed
as g++32.  Next you need to compile the SRPMs using g++32.

CC=gcc32 CXX=gcc32 rpmbuild --rebuild pwlib-1.8.4-1.src.rpm
CC=gcc32 CXX=gcc32 rpmbuild --rebuild openh323-1.15.3-1.src.rpm
CC=gcc32 CXX=gcc32 rpmbuild --rebuild gnomemeeting-1.2.1-1.FC3.src.rpm

Not sure if the initial "CC=gcc32" is necessary.  I figured it couldn't
hurt!

For plain i686 Fedora installations, that should work just fine.
However, if you are using a x86-64 version, then you will encounter
another problem.  During the ./configure stage of the build, you'll get
an error like this:

>   checking for x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu-g++... g++32
>   checking for C++ compiler default output file name... configure:
> error: C++ compiler cannot create executables
>   See `config.log' for more details.

This is because g++32 is being executed with some architectural
optimization flags that only make sense to gcc 4.

If you look in /usr/lib/rpm/redhat/rpmrc, line 9, you'll see:

  optflags: x86_64 %{__global_cflags} -m64 -mnocona

This is the culprit.  Delete that "-mnocona" part, and everything should
compile smoothly.

Hope that helps someone...

--Dominick

P.S.  Oh yes, I just remembered one other change I had to make.  The
reason I had to compile the SRPMs (rather than just install binary RPMS)
is that I wanted to try the DC plugin from pwlib.  I gather that this
code is still relatively untested, and the packagers saw fit to exclude
it from the binary RPM.  If you compile from the SRPM listed above, then
not only won't you get the DC plugin, but you'll also get error messages
about a file not being included in the pwlib package.

You need to add the following line to /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/pwlib.spec
to get the DC plugin included:

%{_libdir}/pwlib/devices/videoinput/dc_pwplugin.so

Then you need to rebuild using a slightly different command, as you
don't want rpmbuild to overwrite your newly-edited pwlib.spec

rpmbuild -bb /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/pwlib.spec
rpm -Uvh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/x86_64/pwlib-1.8.4-1.x86_64.rpm

Obviously, you might need to change the x86_64 to i386 (or whatever) if
you are compiling for a different architecture.