Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Re: Some more comments on the GUI.

Le lundi 25 avril 2005 à 22:21 +0200, Bruno Hertz a écrit :
> Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com> writes:
>
> >> as well. E.g. you already show the display area on all tabs. Why not
> >> move it to the top (although it doesn't necessarily need to be
> >> dockable). Also, the current server is linked to the history of the
> >> dial input box. That history contains numbers likely dialed on
> >> different servers, so it'd make sense to group them logically
> >> together.
> >
> > I don't understand this... Can you explain further?
>

> Well, on your recent screenshots we see the connection status of the
> active call, including in/out codec selections, on all tabs in a
> specially designed area. You could as well move that area out of the
> tabs and put it on top of them, where the dial number input box
> is. That way it's visible all the time too, while not being reproduced
> on each and every tab. This presumably wouldn't be just less
> development effort, it makes more sense too. I.e. a tab should only
> contain what is unique to it, i.e. what other tabs don't have.

Ah well, it is already outside of the tabs. How do you see it in the
tabs?

> Sidenote: I understand that display area should not only give data
> about the active call, but also e.g. about an incoming call. That is,
> while in a call, if another comes in the current data would
> temporarily be replaced with caller id/other data of the new call
> until a decision about it is taken (accept, reject). Hence the same
> area could be used to 'flash' other events. So if it were permanently
> visible, one actually could get rid of the status bar (SJphone has
> none either). But as said, these are all just ideas thrown into the
> pool. I'm not trying to convince anybody of anything :)
>
> The other point is where to put the (optional, future) line selection
> and account selection controls. Presently, you have the dial number
> input box as dockable bar at the top, and it also has a history. The
> numbers in that history were probably dialed on different servers
> though. So if you say the input box plus history should be accessible
> at all times, you logically could say the same applies for account
> selection. Because when I pick number '123' from the history, or just
> dial it, I must also specify the account.

Of course, but that doesn't apply to IP dialing for example, or to
H.323.

> Another approach could be to remember the account with the history,
> i.e. have auto URL completion in the history, and say that numbers
> entered directly are dialed on the default account specified in the
> prefs. That wouldn't be as cool, though.

That's the case currently.

> What I'm essentially trying is group things logically together and
> decide which of them should go on a tab and which not. As of GM 1.2,
> dial number input box and video are not tabbed, anything else is. This
> picture changed with your recent screenshots, there video is tabbed
> either. But call details are also, although they appear on all

Video is not tabbed. Call details are not tabbed either. Seriously :)