Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] KDE Arts sound

Le lundi 25 avril 2005 à 01:35 +0000, Conrad Beckert a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> has anybody an idea how to run Gnomemeeting on KDE with aRts present? The
> problem is that the arts demon is blocking the soundcard so when a call
> arrives it could be silenced since the sound doesn't get through. (some
> knotify bing is enough)
>
> I'm sure not being the only KDE/Gnomemeeting user, so many out there should
> encountered this.
>
> I tried setting the "shut down arts" parameter to something like 15 sec,
> running the sound on ALSA system directly, changing the knotify to use
> alsaplayer instead of aRts (which is the corpus delici in most cases) - no
> avail.
>
> The following options would remain:
> - run a sound server such as jack or esound
> - have a virtual alsa device for Gnomemeeting
> - perhaps find Gnomemeeting version with aRts plugin :-)

Arts is correct for output, but completely unuseful when it comes to
record/play at the same time.

> - change something in the way KDE outputs sound (it's a mess)
>
> Any ideas to solve? Anybody who solved the hickup?

I would configure alsa to use DMIX for output on the default device.
That way, several programs accessing the soundcard at the same time,
will be able to play audio.

My .asoundrc is like this :
pcm.asym {
        type asym
        playback.pcm "dmix"
        capture.pcm "hw:1"
}
pcm.dmix {
        type dmix
        ipc_key 1024
        slave {
                pcm "hw:1"
                period_size 1024
                buffer_size 8192
                format S32_LE
        }
}
pcm.!default {
        type plug
        slave {
                pcm "asym"
        }
}

Of course, it is probably hw:0 for you.

GnomeMeeting is setup to to use the "Default" device. All other programs
too. I can use GnomeMeeting, mplayer, xmms, at the same time...