Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Website updated

Damien Sandras wrote:
We are again coding hard on the future 1.2 release of GnomeMeeting.
There will be more internal changes than user-visible changes, but we
are paving the way for SIP.
People are often asking me what I think of Skype. What I think is pretty clear... The main problem is not that the program is not Open Source, the problem
is that Skype is locking users into a proprietary protocol. Would you
imagine the Internet with a proprietary equivalent to the HTTP protocol
that only a given client could browse? That's what happens with Skype.
Skype also has a great marketing force, some people even think that
Skype has a superior audio quality. How could Skype have a superior
quality when it is using the same codec (iLBC) than software like
GnomeMeeting while introducing more latency by making calls go through a
3rd party? The only real advantage of Skype is that it is easily going
through any type of NAT, using a 3rd user to proxy the call. But the day
when the Linux kernel NAT will natively support H.323 or SIP, Skype will
have lost its only advantage... Skype is hype...

Hi all

Oh and I taught Skype was a space rocket that NASA used to send probes to mars with :)

Cheers Johnny