[GnomeMeeting-list] Re: Name Change

lol--I like using mythology to name computers and programs--try to match up
what it does with a creature/god/place that falls along the same lines

(my development Linux server is named "Grendel"--a mutated beast of a
machine that randomly goes on a rampage and devours my time, energy, and
data, leaving my digital "kingdom" in shambles...  :-)

    Someone could correct me on the details, but Odin (the god) gave up one
of his eyes to be able to see far and wide into the future--regardless of
normal limits that even the Norse gods had to obey.  I thought the name ODIN
would be appropriate because (currently-named) GnomeMeeting is working
towards being able to communicate far and wide regardless of the proprietary
nature of other conferencing clients.

    As far as the word "Conferencing," that is completely optional--"Odin's
Eye" could be another option, if it doesn't imply "webcam" too strongly...
We could refer to other parts of the legend...but "Odin's Foreknowledge of
the End of Everything" (ODIN's FEE) sounds like we're out for money  :-D
    "Odin Vision"...seems too much like a sporting even camera view.

<snip>
I like the Odin one very much!

Actually I would like to get rid of the "meeting" term.
</snip>

I think that's probably a good idea--piggybacking on another term or product
should be intentional and imply direct "plugginess" (for lack of a better
term) where the product is complementary or extends it directly.

<snip>
> --ODIN Conferencing -- OpenSource Data-Interchange Network
> Conferencing  (yeah, it's big on the Norse mythology, but people seem to
> like that...)
</snip>
<snip>
I'd drop the Conferencing in the name - just keep it in the description,
so that the name would just be ODIN.  Overall, I think that would have
the most popular appeal.
</snip>

Probably a good idea...otherwise, you get tied in too much to one particular
aspect (and this is supposed to have a wider appeal, correct?)

<snip>
That's even the problem with the name : gnomemeeting = netmeeting =
videochat = crappy ;)
</snip>

<snip>
I think the "meeting" or "conferencing" thing is misleading to most
people.  If I 'call' one other person is that a conference, or even a
meeting?  If a buzz-word is desired I'd go with something based on
"collaberate"
</snip>

<snip>
I can think of two other software products/projects called "ODIN" off
the top of my head.  That might be a problem.
</snip>

Hmmm...definitely something to consider.  A modifier before or after the
word ODIN would be helpful, but then we run into the same problem with
"meeting", "conferencing", etc...

    We could always pick another mythological being, right?

<snip>
What Daniel says makes me think:

Perhaps any name change should be delayed until win32 and sip are a
reality.  (Perhaps this is what Damien intended anyway...)

My 2c: Perhaps using opal in the name will give more credit towards the
project that does all the hard work in gm.
</snip>