Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Dirac video codec released by the BBC under the GPL

Hi,
 yes, the dirac video codec has been released.

I wrote to the Dirac people, and Tim Borer was very helpful in his

Sadly, Dirac is not ready for the big time of voip/telephony.
Issues are
 1)The latency may be too high. It can run with different levels of
   latency (2 frames in the buffer, or many more). With just 2 frames in
   the buffer, they do not know what the compression stats are. (they do
   not work at this end - they work with lots of frames, going for big
   time compression)

2)It is an evolving codec and api. I write the h323 interface, and then
  they change the codec. gack. I then have to redo my work.

3)dropped packets in the network are a problem. Now, I have written code
  to cope with this before, but, well, I have to resurrect it and get it
  working again.

Derek.