[GnomeMeeting-list] Finally! Working gnomemeeting and Gatekeeper!

Hi,

I have been struggling to compile gnomemeeting and the
GNU Gatekeeper from sources over the last few days.
(Firewire camera, DC plugin, security problems in
Pwlib needing to be addressed in the Gatekeeper etc.)

Anyway, gnomemeeting seems to work fine with the one
remote host that I have connected to. My *real*
problem was with compiling the GNU Gatekeeper, which
may have knock-on consequences for gnomemeeting.

Someone has added the following compiler options to
g++ when compiling Pwlib, and everything derived from
it (including gnomemeeting):

-fno-rtti -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections

Removing RTTI is a *bad idea*, because it means that
operations like "dynamic_cast<>" cannot work!
(Catching exceptions might be affected too.) Quite
possibly gnomemeeting doesn't use dynamic_cast<>
directly, but the pwlib/src/ptlib/unix/beaudio.cxx
file does and so does the GNU Gatekeeper. The absence
of any RTTI is why my new Gatekeeper immediately
core-dumped whenever I tried to start it.

I'm not sure about the value of the other two compiler
optimisations. The GCC manual has the following to say
about them:

     Only use these options when there are significant
benefits from
     doing so.  When you specify these options, the
assembler and
     linker will create larger object and executable
files and will
     also be slower.  You will not be able to use
`gprof' on all
     systems if you specify this option and you may
have problems with
     debugging if you specify both this option and
`-g'.

Anyway, I just thought this GCC issue should be raised
before anyone else starts hitting any incomprehensible
errors.

Cheers,
Chris