Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Bandwidth limitations in GM

Le jeu, 17/06/2004 à 08:51 -0500, Vasileios Gkanis a écrit :
> I would like to share with you the user's perspective on this matter. When I
> say user I mean everybody who does not know much about networking, and who
> wants to have a chat with his/hers friend ( I know this is not Linux :))   ).
>
> I have a cable with 300Kb/s download and 45Kb/s upload. I was told that I need
> to set the upload speed to 5Kb/s. I have no idea why I need to do this!! I

Is it 45 kbits/s upload or 45kBytes/s upload? I guess it is 45kBytes
because 45 kbits would be very low.

The measure in GM is in kBytes.

> see that among the audio codecs, G-711 requires the maximum bandwidth (64Kbps
> = 8kb/s) which means that the rest can be used for video transmission.  But,
> apparently this is not the case ..... I do not know how much bandwidth GM
> will use. Is it wise to browse during a netmeeting ?

Depends if your 45 upload speed is in kbits or kbytes. If it is in
kbytes, then you will eat 8 kbytes for G.711 and 5 kbytes for video, it
means 13 kbytes and you have 45 kbytes available.

If it is in kbits, then you can not even do G.711 as G.711 will use more
than 64 kbits/s.

> So, from my point of view ( user's point of view) it would be good to have a
> small diallog where you give the download/upload limits of your network and
> it calculates the smallest value of the bandwidth. Or better, it would be
> good while you are changing the advanced quality settings, a program to
> calculate the needed bandwidth. I am sure that the quality of the picture
> depends on  the bandwidth...

The configuration assistant is already doing that for typical
configurations (DSL, Cable, LAN, modem)...

However we are here wondering if we should use kbits or kbytes.