Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Bandwidth limitations in GM

Hi Alan,

> Have been a satisfied GnomeMeeting user for some time.  We run GM 1.02
> on a SuSE 9.0 Pro- based system with a dedicated hardware capture card
> and conventional video camera under V4L, with audio handled by alsa.
> Most users report clear video and audio from us, and we receive video
> and audio fine too from everyone.

as should be. ;)

> Not all is well, however.  Users of Polycom VSX and VS4000 systems
> report no video, or only occasional frozen frames of video received
> from us.  Older Polycom systems seem to receive the video fine,
> however.

Polycom.. The magical word yet once again ;))
Well we had problems with them in the past. All of those I know were
resolved by firmware upgrades of those units. However maybe a user of
such unit could report himself here.

> THis sounded like a bandwidth or codec problem to me.  How can I find
> out more technical details on the video (codec, etc.) we are sending?

Tools->General History

> Also, when I open the GM preferences, there is a form box containing a
> number for Maximum video bandwidth of ___ kB/s under the "Codecs...
> Video Codecs" tab, but I cannot seem to set it to higher than 100 kB/s
> even though our network connection and gatekeeper are capable of much
> more.

That's an OpenH323 limitation.

--
Best regards,