Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Newbe address info

Hi David,

Am Di, den 08.06.2004 schrieb David Miller um 4:52:
> I have a private network.  I have a few linux boxes and a few windows
> boxes.  I started netmeeting on a windows box and told it to auto
> answer.  On a linux box I entered h323:192.168.0.3 which is the ip
> address of the windows box on my network, they connected fine.

so far so good. As it's LAN, you most probably didn't use MS-GSM with
NetMeeting  (which is extra to install, see the codec unlocker on
gnomemeeting.org) so of course the quality was good. That however needs
at least 10-12kB/s on the network in each direction. So you might want
to use OpenPhone on Win32 until GM/Win32 is ready, unless you have the
bandwidth (and that 12kB/s is *only* audio, video not yet counting)..

> Your faq talks about making sure that I can get through my firewall
> before registering.  I assume that gnomemeeting works through a server
> simular to AOL's aim.

Well, there's a server involved, but it doesn't connect THROUGH it, only
TO it. That's a users register. So all GM does is tell it where it's at
and what status it has. (plus your name, comment etc.)

Making sure to get thru firewall is thus to open the required ports as
laid out in the FAQ so that the average public internet can connect to
at least TCP port 1720 and UDP ports 5000-5007.

>  If this is the case, how do I verify that I can
> get through the firewall without registering.

This is being verified, when you open the GM addressbook and list
ils.seconix.com. If you see entries in there instead of just three lines
that tell you to check your setup, that's fine. Same has to apply for
the setup of your daughter.

> My planed use, I am in Texas and my daughter is in New York, at
> college.  I can't ping her machine from Texas, so I can't try the same
> as I did on my local net.

Well, these days, ping is filtered pretty often. So that's no realistic
measurement for random hosts anymore. But it may be likely that the
student facilities at university campus are firewalled. Then there's
quite few you can do about that but try with some tunneling like
openvpn.

> I haven't been able to find the manual that is mentioned on the webpage.
http://www.gnomemeeting.org/index.php?rub=3&pos=0&faqpage=x266.html
is the entire section about firewall.. The full FAQ is at
http://www.gnomemeeting.org/index.php?rub=3

--
Best regards,
 Kilian