Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] H261PixelEncoder : H.261 bad geometry: 320x240

Am Mittwoch, 7. Januar 2004 22:23 schrieb Damien Sandras:
> Le mer 07/01/2004 ŕ 21:51, Miguel Rodríguez Pérez a écrit :
> > Why not use colour conversion and image scaling capabilities of the
> > video card when possible? What's the advantage of doing it in software?
>
> It is done at the lib-side, ie where it needs to be done. Scaling the
> image at the gnomemeeting level is not the right place for that kind of
> thing, but that's discussable, that is only a question of design. That
> simply means I wouldn't do it myself, but that doesn't mean I would
> reject a well-done patch.

I think the problem is something else:
Scaling from SIF to QIF is done because we need it for transmission, so it is
done on the sending side, and this can't be done by special hardware
effectively (although video cards are fast with transmission to the card and
scaling, they are _really_ slow at reading back to normal ram, and we will
need it there to encode an transmit it).
This is atm  done by pwlib, and I think it is the right place to do it,
although real scaling, not padding, would be good.

The next thing is to scale the received video, this can be done by special
hardware, and here it might be good to use SDL/Xv/OpenGL.
IIRC for embedded view, this is done by GDK, while for fullscreen, SDL is
used.

Greets,
Stefan

--
Stefan Brüns  /  Kastanienweg 6 - Zimmer 1206  /  52074 Aachen
mailto:lurch gmx li  http://www.kawo1.rwth-aachen.de/~lurchi/