[GnomeMeeting-list] vanilla calls via Microtelco?

I'm confused by FAQ entry 2.6: "Yes, you can do PC-to-Phone with
MicroTelco Internet calling service from Quicknet. Quicknet hardware
and GnomeMeeting 0.96 are required."

Let us assume that I don't care about sound quality too much.  Why the
requirement for Quicknet hardware?  Quicknet themselves are offering a
Windows XP client "QuickPhone" which works with a vanilla soundcard (no
special hardware required).

Baffled, I asked quicknet about it.  I got an email from Dennis
McDermott <dmcdermott quicknet net> explaining that the G.723.1
license costs $75,000 USD plus development time.  OK, but why do I
need a super-duper codec?  GSM or SpeexNarrow is good enough for me.
And almost all the development is already done; What is gnomemeeting?

I can make calls with a vanilla soundcard & QuickPhone on Windows XP.
Why can't I do the same using Linux?

--
A new cognitive theory of emotion, http://openheartlogic.org