Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] cvs version

Hai,

The Asterisk PABX project (www.asterisk.org) has the ability to use the
G.729A codec as a plugin, this could then be used along side your
GateKeeper and GnomeMeeting phone to route calls over the internet... I
have everything in place to do this, but haven't yet bought the G.729
license. (I already have an ethernet phone with the codec built in.)

Asterisk uses separate 'channels' for input and output, not like with a
GK where calls are either proxied or routed. The Asterisk box uses the
best codec on each channel and converts if necessary. (Very impressive
actually!!)

If anyone wants a copy of my config files for my GateKeeper and Asterisk
setup, please feel free to send me a mail...

You can purchase the G.729A license here:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/asteriskpbx/asteriskg729.html

As it states on that page, you need a license per channel, which is
probably sufficient for most people. (although I am not sure how this is
enforced!)

I've been in quite a lot of communication with DualTalk, they seem to be
quite capable and I reckon that with enough e-mails they would seriously
consider supporting the GSM codec....
If you think about the number of Linux and GnomeMeeting users that there
must be in europe, I would be surprised if there wasn't a big enough
market to justify the investment! Besides, us geeks are for more likely
to use a VoIP service than anyone else!!

Hope this helps,

sam