[GnomeMeeting-list] Problem with Mandrake 10.1 an pre-build rpm.

On Mon, 2004-12-20 at 16:30 +0100, Damien Sandras wrote:
> Le lundi 20 décembre 2004 à 16:28 +0100, Jean-Christophe Dubois a
> écrit :
> > Isn't gnomemeeting providing a "gnomemeeting-config-tool" that is able
> > to set/reset the Gconf database to a reasonable state. At least I am
> > getting this tool on my Mandrake system and I had to run it when I tried
> > to upgrade from 1.0.2 to 1.2. I then had to rerun it when I downgraded
> > to 1.0.2 (because the webcam stopped working with 1.2).
> >

> Instead of silently downgrading you should have reported the problem.
> What's the problem with 1.2?
>
> Notice the V4L plugin has not change, nor has the webcam-related code
> changed, so the problem you are describing is weird :)

OK, so here is my report.

I am running Mandrake 10.1 that comes bundled with Gnomemeeting 1.0.2. I
had some problem first with the webcam/USB driver (I am using a Philips
PCVC740K "ToUCam Pro"). The image was there but it was just a big
patchwork of collors that was changing when I was moving in front of the
camera. As I doubted the driver that come with Mandrake was up to date,
I went to http://www.saillard.org/linux/pwc/, downloaded the driver,
compiled it, installed it. After loading it the picture was still the
same (in both gnomemeeting and xawtv). I then played with the modules
parameters and I forced a sif format at 20 frames/seconds. And then
everything started to work for both xawtv and gnomemeeting.

I then tried to upgrade to 1.2 using the rpm available from the
gnomemeeting web site. The upgrade went fine but when I started
gnomemeeting it complained about gconf. I ran gnomemeeting-init-tool and
then I was able to start gnomeeeting. But when I enabled the camera then
nothing would show in the video frame. xawtv was still working OK. I ran
the druid and ran the video test there ant it ran successfully but still
not video would show on gnomemeeting.

I guess I should try to compile from source and see if it is better, but
I decided to just go back to 1.0.2 for now. If you have anything you
want me to try I can certainly upgrade to 1.2 again.

Now that I look at the packages I loaded at the time I am wondering if
the fact to load libpwlib1-plugins-avc-1.8.3-2mdk.i586.rpm might have
screwed up something. Maybe I should no install this RPM. At the time I
though it was harmless. Maybe it is not... Note that I did not load
libpwlib1-plugins-dc-1.8.3-2mdk.i586.rpm because it was relying on some
(firewire?) libraries that were not installed.

Thanks for any tip you might have.

Regards

JC