Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Poll

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, daniel huhardeaux wrote:

Denis Leslie a écrit :

[...]

d) like c) but ideally maximum interoperability between as many different platforms / systems as possible. (Compare with a telephone, which I can use to call any number, national or international, land line or mobile.) Needs agreement on common standards (obviously).

It's not to GM to route your calls, that's the gateway stuff (with your telephone it's the same). GM has to be client (EndPoint) supporting different protocols (H323, SIP, IAX2, MSN, Skype,...). Common standards (RFC) are only H323 and SIP.

Regarding Damien's poll:

* I used GM a few hours daily for almost a year, through
  several versions and peering with OpenPhone and NM on Windows,
  with almost no problem at all.

* NAT was a royal pain until I figured out how to configure
  port forwarding on my Alcatel router... :(

* Supporting conferencing between two groups of people
  (using both loudspeakers) would be a considerable plus, in
  my opinion.  For this, GM is missing echo cancellation or,
  more cheaply I suppose, an adaptive half duplex mechanism
  like the one implemented in most speaker phones.

Somewhat related to the thread above, if GM becomes for voice
and video comunication what GAIM is for IM *and* is ported
on Windows, it will be the most useful tool ever seen!  BTW,
there is a project, gaim-vv, that aims to become compatible
with Yahoo! Messenger voice and video protocol, but I think
this is old news for you.

I know this is (too?) many man-year of work, :( but Windows
port, interface to popular tools, and conferencing features
(in this order) seem the future strength to me.

This said, I convey a VERY BIG thanks to GM developers!
GM is incredibly good and useful the way it is today!

Mihai