Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Open discussion about ILS/SIP/FWD

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 17:39:32 +0930
Malcolm Caldwell <malcolm caldwell ntu edu au> wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-08-27 at 16:57 +0200, Damien Sandras wrote:
> > Le vendredi 27 août 2004 à 17:48 +0300, Johnny Strom a écrit :
> >
> > > Well I don't know all new Voip phones and such things use SIP nowdays,
> > > some dose not support H323 anymore at least that is the impression I got.
> > >

> > That's right, but I think it would be more work to remove it than to
> > keep it ;)
> >
> > Moreover, Cisco, Alcatel, Avaya are still using H.323 and not SIP for
> > their VoIP systems. Same for Polycom for videoconferencing. H.323 is far
> > from dead ;)
>
> All vendors are talking SIP.
>
> At a recent conference I went to I certainly got the impression SIP was
> the 'buz'. In video conferencing Polycom have announced they will do SIP
> this year.  Tandberg indicate next year.  MCU vendors like radvison
> support SIP now.

Of course the equipment vendors are all talking about SIP, because it
represents a new market for them. The more they talk it up, the more new
kit they get to sell.

> In the VoIP world all vendors (including traditional PABX makers) are
> talking about cheap, commodity SIP handsets.
>
> SIP is the future - certainly for VoIP but also for video conferencing.

When you talk to people actually deploying new networks, particularly
ones that interface to existing VoIP systems, SIP still has some way to
do. H.323 will be around for a long time yet.

> That being said, I don't thing h323 should be removed from gm.  Just
> that SIP is needed as well.

In the end, SIP is much nicer thsn H.323 for simple clients at the
network edge. That's why the OpenH323 team has been working on OPAL, so
we will have a seamless combination of SIP and H.323

   Craig

 Craig Southeren      craigs postincrement com / craigs voxgratia org

 Phone:  +61 243654666      ICQ: #86852844
 Fax:    +61 243673140      MSN: craig_southeren hotmail com
 Mobile: +61 417231046   Jabber: craigs jabber voxgratia org

 Post Increment - Consulting & Services    http://www.postincrement.com
 Vox Gratia - The Open Source VoIP portal  http://www.voxgratia.org
 Raving Of A Strange Mind - the VoIP blog  http://www.southeren.com/blog