Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Open discussion about ILS/SIP/FWD

Selon Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com>:

> Hello to all,
>
> You probably know that GnomeMeeting is using ILS to register users and
> ease communication with other GnomeMeeting users.
>
> However, I planned to deprecate that system by GnomeMeeting 1.2 and to
> replace it by a gatekeeper/LDAP system where users would sign up for an
> account, register to the gatekeeper with their account info and be
> published on ldap.seconix.com.
>
> That system is compatible with the future SIP protocol, the gatekeeper
> being replaced by a SIP Registrar, and the LDAP server being able to
> list both SIP and H.323 users.
>
> Seeing the demand I expect more people need SIP now than H.323, and many
> people do not care at all and will use whatever is available.
>
> However, there exist a SIP "provider" called FreeWorldDialup with which
> you can sign up for a free account. That gives you a unique number that
> identifies you. Other FWD users can call you using that number, and you
> also have access to several audio-ONLY services like : conferences
> rooms, echo machines, calls to toll-free numbers, interconnection with
> PC-To-Phone services (you dial a special number followed by the number
> to dial), and so on.
>
> They have their own web-based whitepages (with 140 users now for Belgium
> only). Those whitepages are not browsable via LDAP, which makes it very
> annoying as it would make the current address book unuseful.
>
> Notice they also provide an outbound proxy for audio-only allowing
> people with symmetric NAT (linux) to transparently go through their
> firewalls.
>
> My question is simple, what do my users want ?
> 1) H.323 or SIP or both or I don't care
both

> 2) use freeworlddialup only (SIP) and get rid of seconix.com. Possibly
> trying to convince them to provide an LDAP interface to their whitepages
> perhaps allowing to search for gnomemeeting users only.
which program use SIP i known only linphone ( very little use )

> 3) use freeworlddialup (SIP) in combination with seconix.com
> (gnomemeeting users would be able to take a gnomemeeting account, listed
> on LDAP at seconix.com, when registering that account, they could
> optionnaly specify a FreeWorldDialup account. When logging in on
> seconix.com, they would be registered to FWD at the same time).

2 & 3
the simplest one
an other idea is to use the jabber protocol ,opensource server & client code
are available

> 4) use seconix.com as main registration source for both H.323 and SIP,
> with other gnomemeeting users listed in an LDAP server. Those who want
> can use FreeWorldDialup instead, but the system wouldn't support it
> natively.

> 2) is a good option I think. The only problem is that I have now an idea
> of my number of users through the use of seconix.com. If we use
> FreeWorldDialup only, and if they prevent LDAP browsing and GnomeMeeting
> filtering, you will be unable to call other GnomeMeeting users only).

use a plugin system to manage registering mode
seconix old mode
ldap new mode
FREEWORLDIALUP sip mode
jabber mode

in all case the most important thing is the period of "status refreshment"

for that reason the status refresh message in this protocol must be very light

user profile can  be removed from this message