[GnomeMeeting-list] Re: works with OSS drivers on Debian 2.4.21 kernel but not Knoppix 2.4.22

> From: Kilian Krause <kk verfaction de>
< deleted>
> > Hi, I know how, just don't feel like it. BTW, I've
> > been a yahoo.com member since 1997, publicly
> online
> > since 1994, and a software developer since 1990.
> ;-)
>
> and you think that now i shall be impressed or what?
> Using y4h00.C0M is
> L33t.. of course.. how could i miss that...=20

geesh, I guess I just should have said nothing. Why
people think THAT info was put up there to "impress"
is beyond me since it was in response to a reply
inferring a lack of understanding... But I surely
won't do it any more. Shall I just say that I am
familiar with computers and making them work?????

> > The "full duplex" requirement is probably it. The
> i810
> > audio device( or drivers ) doesn't seem to support
> > full duplex. Also, starting Knoppix with the
> "alsa"
> > cheat-code doesn't result in the alsa module
> getting
> > loaded and nothing ALSA works( alsa_init,
> alsamixer,
> > or alsa_snddevices ).=20
>
> well, snd_intel8x0 is your module for i810 audio in
> fact. If this
> doesn't get loaded, that's a KNOPPIX problem you
> should ask on their
> ML.. (but i can confirm i have seen this problem
> with some KNOPPIX version already)

Regarding getting ALSA system loaded, it was purely a
Knoppix issue since the 2004-02-09 release was missing
all the ALSA drivers. I tried the 2004-02-16 release
and manually loaded the ALSA drivers to get
gnomemeeting to load.

But this doesn't explain why it works fine on my
desktop without the ALSA drivers. Oh well. For what
it's worth, video comes across fine but only one audio
codec seems to work and even that makes me sound like
Elvin and the Chipmonks talking though an electric
fan.
It's the SpeexNarrow-8k codec and I was trying it all
inside the local LAN. I'll search around to see if I
can't figure out how to improve the audio to a usable
level. It could be a full-duplex issue since neither
system currently supports full duplex.

It's a pretty nice app and if I can get audio working,
I'll probably start using it.

For what it's worth, I saw the "--disable-sound"
option when, at the CLI, I entered "gnomemeeting
--help". It appears the whole GNOME framework gets
involved here and wants to show its option list too. I
don't know GNOME and didn't expect this so I thought
this was all part of gnomemeeting.  My bad.

Doug( appearently, with a bag over my head ) ;-)
BTW, had I originally recognized the gnome.org site
was hosting the list, I probably would NOT have used
my yahoo.com email address... SPAMmers have made email
a real pain the the arss.