Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] USB webcams with microphones working under ALSA?

Le ven 19/09/2003 à 13:22, Chris Rankin a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have a USB webcam with a built-in microphone working under Linux,
> please? I have a Linux box that can only receive a meeting at the moment because
> a) the microphone doesn't work
> b) the sound card is only half-duplex anyway
> c) it also has no webcam
>
> Adding a USB webcam with a builtin microphone seems like an idea solution,
> especially since I see that ALSA supports USB audio.
>
> So does anyone recommend any particular makes / models, please?

i have a Logitech Quickcam Pro 4000 which works very good.
With the latest kernel version you have to use the kernel module pwc and
to add the binary only module pwcx which add compression to enable the
size requested by GM (iirc).
until now it was adviced to use OSS usb-audio module, as the one from
ALSA was not really good (once, iirc), but i didn't followed to much the
evolution and perhaps that with latest version of ALSA it is working
good now, moreover now that ALSA is provided with kernel 2.6.

> Thanks,
you're welcome, hope this helps.

> Chris
Fabrice

--
Fabrice Alphonso
Translation Maintainer - GnomeMeeting Team