RE: [GnomeMeeting-list] Bad echo

My headsets may not be the highest quality, but they pretty good.  Even if I
unplug the headset's earphones on the sending side and unplug the headset's
microphone on the receiving side (and put dummy plugs in the now-empty
jacks), and talk quietly in the microphone far away from the sending side's
laptop (and from the receiving side's laptop), I still hear an echo on the
receiving side that has pretty good fidelity.  And if my sender's igain
setting is high or my receiver's pcm setting is high, then the echo repeats
louder and louder until it is too loud to comfortably hear it.  (But only
the person wearing the receiver's headset can hear any of this.)

I don't see how the headsets could be causing this echo, since only half of
each is connected.  I fear that my laptops (or their sound cards) are
intentionally routing what they receive as input back out as output, not due
to any lack of electronic integrity but because they have been programmed to
do so.

Has anyone seen anything like this?

Damien's suggestion of having a live test with someone using the IRC channel
is a good one.  Also, if the problem is with the sound card, then maybe a
headset with a USB microphone jack would solve the problem (as Damien
suggested).  Does anyone have a suggestion for a good, but not too
expensive, headset with USB microphone that will work well with Linux and
GnomeMeeting?