[GnomeMeeting-list] problem with /dev/dsp.... sorry ;)

Hi there,
	I browsed the mailing list quickly and saw that the question arose
already several times... But I did not find the solution:

when I use the druid, audio test fails on /dev/dsp telling me that it
could be opened but not written:
"The selected audio device (/dev/dsp) was successfully opened but it is
impossible to write data to this device. Please check your audio setup."

When I do cat dev/dsp > /dev/dsp I can hear myself talking without time
delay. I can use /dev/dsp to play -a /dev/dsp someFile.avi
and I can also use mplayer, xine, xmms....
I can also use rezound to record my voice...

Here is my hardware:
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corp. 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio
(rev 02)
        Subsystem: Sony Corporation: Unknown device 813c
        I/O ports at 1c00 [size=256]
        I/O ports at 18c0 [size=64]

In /etc/modules.conf:

alias sound-slot-0 i810_audio
post-install sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -L
>/dev/null 2>&1 || :
pre-remove sound-slot-0 /bin/aumix-minimal -f /etc/.aumixrc -S
>/dev/null 2>&1 || :

As you can see I dont have much in the modules.conf... I have installed
alsa etc... but did not really configure it because so many other things
work! Can somebody help me see a bit more clearly in all that?

Oh, I forgot to mention:
ls -l /dev/dsp :
crw-------    1 cohen    root      14,   3 Jan 30  2003 /dev/dsp
I tried to chmod, to no avail