From: Damien Sandras <damien sandras it-optics com>
To: gnomemeeting-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Logitech 4000 cameras and gnomemeeting
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 17:37:16 +0100

Le mar 18/11/2003 à 17:27, sting sting a écrit :
> Thnxs ;
> I had installed gnomemeeting on a RedHat 7.3 Linux . (with no patches to the
> kernel)

Wow that must be a very old gnomemeeting...

> I had tried it with 2 logitech 4000 cameras.
> The video is very good.
> regarding the Audio Quality:
> The audio driver I use is the (kernel original) audio.o
> I saw in the kernel log (which is /var/log/messages on RH7.3)
> that the audio was recognized as dsp 14,35 which is /dev/dsp2.
>
> Note: ******the mixer is recognized as 14,16***************** !!
>
> (and indeed cat /dev/dsp2 yields a binary result and not a "no such file").

That's normal. There is no adequation between the mixer number and the
device number. You could have more dsp's than mixers.

> So I had configured gnomemeeting recoreder to be /dev/dsp2.
> Now regarding the mixer, I have some problem.
> when I do cat /dev/mixer0, cat /dev/mixer1 , cat /dev/mixer2, cat
> /dev/mixer3 I get
> cat: /dev/mixerN : no such file or directory.
>
> Well, I had tried to enter a blank field in the Recoreder Mixer filed (it is
> possible
> in this version of gnomemeeting for RH7.3 , but it is impossiblle on the
> later version
> for RH9 since there you have to select from a list of mixers in a combobox).
>
> The result is that I do have an unbearable echo which become more louder
> during time .
> (it ends up in something like a loud long beep)
> Well , I assume that I should use a mixer and this causes the problem.
> Mayne I miss some driver for the mixer ?

No, the problem is that your microphone is too near of the speakers and
webcam microphones record much noise of the background, so there is the
echo. The best solution is to buy a headset (mine costs 10 Euros) and to
use it instead of the speakers => no more echo

> It seems to mt that somehow I should be able to get results
> when performing cat /dev/mixerN (where N is 0 and 2 ?)

I don't know and I'm not using OSS anymore ;)

> Truly  this problem is not a gnomemeeting problem but I hope
> that somebody  who used logitech 4000 with gnomemeeting
> as I am not an audio expert on Linux.
> Another question : to make sure : is the Echo Cancelltion option I saw in
> setting
> (in the RH9 version) is not relevant when using the logitech 4000 camera?
> (is it only relvant
> to Quicknet cards? )

Yes, only relevant to quicknet cards.

> regards,
> sting
>

> >From: Damien Sandras <damien sandras it-optics com>
> >To: gnomemeeting-list gnome org
> >Subject: Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] Logitech 4000 cameras and gnomemeeting
> >Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 12:40:51 +0100
> >
> >Hi,
> >
> >Le mar 18/11/2003  12:29, sting sting a crit :
> > > Hello,
> > > I have a logitech 4000 camera with a built-in microphone.
> > > my question is :
> > > did anybody tried this camera with gnomemeeting ?
> >
> >Plenty of people.
> >
> > > did it went OK?
> >
> >Yes.
> >
> > > and regarding the sound quality - was it  OK?
> >
> >Yes.
> >
> > > did he had any echo ? (when hearing the voice with speakers)?
> >
> >No.
> >
> > > and in case he had - was there a solution/workaround for this (besides
> > > lowering the volume to a
> > > minimim)?
> >
> >Use a headset.
> >
> > > regards,
> > > sting

> >--
> >  _      Damien Sandras
> >(o-
> >//\     It-Optics s.a.
> >v_/_    GnomeMeeting: http://www.gnomemeeting.org/
> >         FOSDEM 2004:  http://www.fosdem.org
> >         H.323 phone:  callto:ils.seconix.com/dsandras seconix com

(o-
//\     It-Optics s.a.
        FOSDEM 2004:  http://www.fosdem.org